Dec 7, 2010

ART DIRECTOR'S CLUB AWARDS

ISSUE 03 2010 ADC AwardsAwards Banner
Q&A NEWS DEADLINES

Q&A
NEWS
DEADLINES
ADC EXPLODING CUBE VIDEO
MO BASE DESIGN


qanda



ADC contacted Cube Winner, MO BASE DESIGN, about their recent Cube Project submission.

Check out their making of videohere.

ADC: All of your work has a very vivid quality. How do you create such visceral experiences?

MO DESIGN: This idea was inspired by our traditional customs and our childhood memories; the whole process was very fun.

ADC: Environment plays a big part in your work, is it important for the work to be tangible?

MO DESIGN: We wanted to make this project more realistic, more powerful, the impact of this visual stays in people's minds. Whenever we see this project, we will remember all those sounds and the smells.


ADC: What gave you the idea to have the Cube be an explosion/firework?

MO DESIGN: Use of firecrackers is a traditional part of celebrating festivals in China: a combination of explosive strength and aesthetic presentation.

ADC: Your design work seems so futuristic/ forward thinking. Why is this?

MO DESIGN: We love experimental design as it gives us a fun, creative space to help to explore new things and to keep on our design passion alive.


Check out their "MAKING OF VIDEO" here.
For more information visit their website:
mo-base.com

ILLUSTRATION CHAIR
MARIAN BANTJES


ADC: You have evolved with the times from book typesetter in the '80s to having your own design firm in the '90s. It's truly inspiring that you embrace change. Why is this so important to you?

MARIAN: Don't forget that I left my firm in the '00s to do this other thing that I do. I have to keep changing because if I don't I get bored. It's also very easy to become pigeon-holed into a specific style unless I constantly move forward. People are so surprisingly unimaginative, so used to picking things out of a catalogue, off the rack, so to speak ... So you can't count on them to imagine new things, you have to constantly show them the possibilities.

ADC: How did you get involved in the blog "Speak Up?" That era seems like the golden age of blogging even though it wasn't so long ago.

MARIAN: It was the golden age of blogging, and I was very lucky to be there at that time. I discovered "Speak Up?" some time in 2003 or 2004. It was probably recommended to me by someone, and I quickly became obsessed with this vibrant online community. I spent hours on the site, reading and commenting with a certain sense that I was wasting my time, but it really worked out for me. Eventually I became an author for the site, and many of the friends I made there are still friends of mine today: Debbie Millman, Armin Vit, Bryony Gomez-Palacio, Tan Le, Patric King, Sam Potts and to some extent Michael Bierut, Steve Heller, Rick Poynor, Bill Drenttel, Jessica Helfand and others. These were people I "met" there first.


ADC: How do you balance your precise and detailed creative process to create pieces that are very organic in nature?

MARIAN: My aim is juxtaposition and surprise, but also while I have an affinity for the organic form, I can't help the way my brain works, which is logically and in a very structured manner. I'm a sort of free-flowing control freak.

ADC: You have worked for some traditional publishing houses, magazines, and designers - firms like Sagmeister and recent ADC Hall of Fame inductee, Winterhouse. What are the challenges of dealing with such a varied clientele?

MARIAN: Well, most people in design have the challenges of working with a varied clientele. I think we're always trying to make early sense of a client, to get a handle on what type of person or organization they are and respond appropriately. I actually have it easier than most because most of my clients are designers and art directors. We speak the same language, and we already understand each other to a certain extent. I've been where they are and I know what they're dealing with from their end, so I think it makes it easier on both of us when unexpected shit happens. Except I'm very quick to bail on projects that aren't going well. I've learned enough not to jump through stupid hoops when it's clear things aren't working out. One thing I've noticed though is that I never have trouble with the real pros: Michael Bierut, Stefan, Bill Drenttel etc., those projects were pretty easy. It seems when things get fucked up it is invariably with a junior designer, or someone fairly low in the hierarchy and usually it's because they just don't have the communication skills. Same as every other client.

For more information visit Marian's website:
bantjes.com

90th DEADLINES
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
RECEIVE 10% OFF ENTIRE ORDER

DEADLINE 1/3/2011


DESIGN JAN 21, 2011
PHOTOGRAPHY JAN 21, 2011
ILLUSTRATION JAN 21, 2011
DESIGN SPHERE JAN 21, 2011
INTERACTIVE JAN 28, 2011
STUDENT JAN 28, 2011
ADVERTISING FEB 6, 2011
HYBRID FEB 6, 2011

FEATURED CUBE: JESSE KUHN

What was the inspiration behind your CUBE?
JESSE:
Well, unicorns are the freakin' coolest species known to the universe, and word on the street is that this little cube award you guys keep talking about is sort of a big deal... so it felt like a natural metamorphosis.

No comments: